I am honored to be chosen to lead the Rhode Island chapter of the National Contract Management Association (NCMA). My predecessor, Rich Cambra did a wonderful job and has left large footprints to fill. I am blessed to have assistance of an excellent Executive Board that are both active and dedicated to furthering the mission of NCMA.
The Rhode Island Chapter was chartered on September 14, 1976 as a 501 c (6) Non‐ Profit with the mission to create standards for the profession. This includes the obligation to abide by a professional Code of Ethics. Creating programs and services to help individuals enter and progress in the field, ranging from educational and certification programs to conference and networking opportunities, is a vital part of our mission as is, expanding advocacy and outreach for the profession continues to be central to our mission.
Everyone working with the NCMA‐RI Chapter is a volunteer from industry or government. They work tirelessly to bring the membership thoughtful and exciting programs, speakers, training, and outreach. In the past we have given scholarships to deserving Rhode Island College students to help prepare them for a career in contract management.
With the NCMA‐RI Program Year 2015‐2016 in full swing, let me quickly update you on our events so far:
- Sponsored a joint information exchange between NUWC and Salve Regina University over several dates in the summer to explore how to better prepare our local students for careers in contracting
- Hosted the Ocean State Workshop focusing on contracting education in June
- Hosted a members connect at our Annual Summer Social Kempaar’s this past July
- Supported the NUWCDIVNPT Small Business Product Vendor Industry Day, in October
- Held a lunch time information session “Trends in GSA”
- Sponsored, along with the SENEDIA the Service Disabled and Veterans Owned Small Business Annual Matchmaking events and Training Conference, hosted by NUWCDIVNPT at the Officer’s Club in Newport. in November
- Hosted “Government Property; A Hot Button Issue!” by Robby Ragos CFE, CPPA, CRMA, Industrial Supply Property Management Specialist, from DCMA Hartford, CT
- Sponsored NUWC and Zone 1 Seaport‐E contract Council Meeting in December.
We have several great events planned for the rest of the year highlighted by the Bi-annual Industry Day on June 14th. Please read through our newsletter, browse our website for more information about all the exciting events we have planned for you in addition to links for contract management information and education. Better yet consider attending one of our lunch events or monthly meetings. We are always looking to expand our opportunities and hear new ideas. If you’re not currently a member, please consider joining and supporting your local Chapter.
NCMA- RI President